Our History

The Merton Villa has a long, interesting history.


1st May 1882

In May 1882 the foundation stone, for the church, was laid by Mrs Greenhow, of Aberant, Llanidloies, with a gift of £10, and a Mr s Jones of Talyllyn gave £5, together with donations from members of the congregation.

Read more


1st January 1884

In 1884 permission was sought to build a manse next to the chapel at a cost of £513. The requested was granted (with a gift of £80 & loan of £100). The manse was named “Merton Villa”, probably derived from “Merton Collage, Oxford”.

Read more


1st November 1909

In November 1909, a letter was sent from Circuit Steward, Rev J Smith (Minister).

Read more


1st January 1910

In 1910, a memo of agreement was signed between Revd John Smith of Towyn Wesleyan Minister, Hugh Davies of Tyllwyn near Towyn farmer and John Lloyd of Towyn solicitor. Read the agreement here.

Read more


17th October 1931

In a meeting, it was passed that permission be given to move the stone wall in front of the lawn at Merton Villa in addition to the wall of a building outside, for the purpose of making a garage to keep the ministers car. It was thought by everyone of the…

Read more


9th October 1943

Reverend Richard Jones who was the superintendent preacher of the circuit chairman, convened an mtg, in the schoolroom of the chapel, to appoint new trustees for Merton Villa. Of the original 21 trustees, 20 had passed away and one had “remained out of the United Kingdom for more than 12…

Read more


2nd June 1995

In June of 1995, Merton Villa was sold to Andrew Neil May and Sheena Katheleen Hughes for £41,000.00.

Read more


1st October 2005

In October of 2005, Merton Villa was sold to the Ralph family for an undisclosed fee. 

Read more


1st April 2006

In April of 2006, Merton Villa B&B was open for business.

Read more